NAPLES
The Cathedral of San Gennaro ‘was founded in the 4th century on the site of a Greek sanctuary dedicated to Apollo. The present building was begun in the French Gothic style by Charles 1 in 1294 and finished by Robert the Wise in 1323. The façade, shattered by an earthquake, was rebuilt by Antonio Baboccio in 1407. The remainder of the church was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1456.’52


The first two columns on the right hand side of the nave as you enter could possibly be cipollino. They are estimated at 3.4 m. /11.48 Rf in height and .30 /1 Rf to .35 m. in diameter and are made up of two columns on top of each other. Descending into the crypt there are four to five columns of cipollino, with a diameter of .35 m. /1.18 Rf and height of 4 m. /13.5 Rf, Corinthian capitals, again with plinth and a concave scotia (Plates 2.104, 2.105, 2.106 & 2.107). There is also cipollino in the steps going down to the crypt and in the last three steps on the left hand side facing the altar (Plate 2.108). In the Baptistry there are a row of marble columns on the right hand side on entering, of which four or five are cipollino (Plates 2.109 & 2.110). They have a height of 3.8 m. /12.8 Rf and diameter of .40 m. /1.35Rf. It was difficult to photograph and note them as the Cathedral was closing at this point. There are possibly more on the left hand side.

There are two small highly polished columns with a height of 2.2 m. /7.4 Rf and diameter of .25 m. /.84 Rf, surrounding a memorial plaque for XSTO EX DUCUBUS RIARIO SFORTIA. They have the usual plinth with concave scotia (Plate 2.111).
 

The Museo Archeologico Nazionale (The National Archaeological Museum) is at the far northern end of the Via Foria and can be easily accessed by bus or metro. It is a great storehouse of art, sculpture, mosaic and painting. The ground floor is almost entirely devoted to sculpture but the upper floors contain the magnificent paintings and artefacts from the Vesuvian cities of Pompeii, Herculaneum and others. Among these are the fine mosaics and wall paintings which have been taken from the sites. Particularly fine are the mosaics from the House of the Faun and amongst the collection is the statue of the Faun himself, standing on a polished cipollino column 1.5 m. /5 Rf in height and approximately .30 m. /1Rf in diameter (Plate 2.112)

52 Blanchard, Paul, p. 68.

Maps and Plates

Plate 2.104.jpg

Plate 2.104 – 2.107 Four-five cipollino columns in the Crypt, at the Duomo or Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.105.jpg

Plate 2.104 – 2.107 Four-five cipollino columns in the Crypt, at the Duomo or Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.106.jpg

Plate 2.104 – 2.107 Four-five cipollino columns in the Crypt, at the Duomo or Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.107.jpg

Plate 2.104 – 2.107 Four-five cipollino columns in the Crypt, at the Duomo or Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.108.jpg

Plate 2.108 Cipollino marble on the steps leading to the Crypt, at the Duomo, or Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.109.jpg

Plates 2.109 & 2.10 Cipollino columns in the Baptistry, at the Duomo, or the Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.110.jpg

Plates 2.109 & 2.10 Cipollino columns in the Baptistry, at the Duomo, or the Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.111.jpg

Plate 2.111 Two smaller highly polished cipollino columns surrounding the memorial plaque, at the Duomo, or Cathedral of San Gennaro, Naples.

Plate 2.112.jpg

Plate 2.112 Cipollino base for the statue of the Faun, the Archaeological Museum, Naples.